Update: After about a week, HughesNet pushed out a potential fix to my specific modem. Although I don’t know exactly what bits got flipped, the problem is now solved, and the fix will be pushed out to other subscribers’ modems in the future. Thank you, HughesNet!
This post is for the benefit of HughesNet tech support/engineering personnel. These are my troubleshooting notes.
Large (>1MB) downloads have been failing for me on certain URLs, although smaller downloads fail as well. HTTPS fails more than HTTP. This has been happening for at least a month. Other users are reporting the same issue.
Files that usually fail to download:
A third, that occasionally produces the problem, is an HTTP download:
Occasionally, GitHub repos will fail to fetch for the same reason. This is particularly annoying because Git offers no way to resume a partially-fetched repository.
This Git repo is known to do so when cloned using HTTPS or using the Git protocol:
Troubleshooting steps taken:
- Disable/Enable Web Acceleration (no change in HTTPS downloads, didn’t test HTTP download with Web Acceleration yet).
- Several modem reboots (soft reboots from the control panel and hard reboots by pulling the plug from the wall and waiting several minutes).
- Several router reboots (soft reboots from the control panel and hard reboots by pulling the plug from the wall and waiting several minutes).
- Router bypass (connecting a laptop directly to the modem).
- Cable swaps (replacing modem LAN cable with a known good one).
Problematic operating systems and browsers:
- Windows 7 (IE 11, Firefox, Chrome)
- Windows 8.1 (IE 11, Firefox, Chrome)
- Ubuntu Linux 14.04 (Firefox, wget)
- Ubuntu Linux 12.04 (wget)
- SuSE Linux 12.3 (wget, and yeah yeah, I know, 12.3 isn’t getting security updates anymore…)
IPv4 and IPv6 connections are both susceptible to failure.
A number of people on the HughesNet support forum have also reported issues with these files. A number of them are on the HughesNet’s AMA IP gateway. Another is on the Tuscon, Arizona gateway. The HughesNet Community support thread is here.
The HTTPS downloads fail whether Web Acceleration is enabled or not.
Packet Captures (Wireshark format):
HughesNet alters TCP packets mid-flight. :( You can see this in the packet captures above. Something between my client and the server has taken upon itself to act as a TCP endpoint. Not nice.